Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cancelling Facebook Until it is a Safe Space for Women

In a few hours I am shutting down my Facebook account in protest. For the last 6 months I have tried to work with Facebook to make it a safe place for women and children.

It still is NOT a safe place for women and children, as the threats against me and another woman yesterday prove. If you have kids on Facebook, they need to be either supervised 100% the time, or their accounts need to be shut down.

I have thought about this for a long time, and the only thing my conscience can settle on is that by staying on Facebook, I am contributing to a culture that promotes the rape, abuse, torture and murder of women.

Facebook gives these men a platform under the guise of "free speech." There is an obvious connection in my mind between men who threaten to rape and abuse women, and those who do so.

Until people refuse to participate and make their voices heard so that advertisers leave too, I don't think anything will ever truly change at Facebook.



http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/11/does-facebook-hate-all-women-or-just-feminists/

1 comment:

  1. Haven't forgot you Trista! Didn't know what to do...the following is what I came up with.




    “It’s against Facebook’s rules to intimidate or harass others, and we provide everyone with the tools to report such content.

    “When abuse is reported to us, we react swiftly, and we will disable accounts that are found to be in breach of our terms.”
    ****

    Bwahahaha, bullshit Facebook! Please everyone that has received death threats that Facebook has ignored please message me the screenshots of those threats along with your name, I'm compiling a list to send to Facebook and the media. Surely the sheer volume will not be able to be ignored as easy!

    ReplyDelete