Sunday, April 7, 2013

Trista's Last Letter to Facebook

Fred,

I appreciate that you always respond quickly and politely - and that you have been proactive about taking pages down. But I have to be honest. Sympathy is not action and it's not enough. I don't want you to do anything because you feel sorry for me. I want you to do it because this is happening to MANY women and girls - and it is the right thing to do.

You and I both know that US law enforcement is severely understaffed and underfunded. They are unlikely to do much of anything, as has been the case with nearly every woman I have spoken to. So trying to offload this to them really does not fly with me. It is your site, and the consequences are your responsibility.

You have said changes were in the works for months. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. It has only escalated and become worse.

If Facebook has the ability to monitor people who are not even on Facebook, you can not tell me that you don't have control over your own site. Even if we do not agree on rape jokes, you cannot tell me that a lot of the other stuff should not be on Facebook.

Facebook does not have to be a platform for rapists, pedophiles, men who beat up and kill women or other criminals. The way I see things now, Facebook is no better than a hotel owner who rents out a room to a creepy man with a half-naked child and listens to her scream while he counts his money.

Trista/Fri, March 22, 2013 12:38 pm


No Response from Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment